If you are interested in starting kendo, please read this section carefully, take a look around our website and Facebook page for more information. Please register for the beginners course, and a first class might be offered for free only under exceptional circumstances.
* Beginners are accepted year round and are expected to attend at least 10 consecutive classes. The next beginner intake will be on the 25th April 2022.
* After the 10 classes are up, those successfully completing the course may move on to the regular class timetable.
* Beginners can buy their own kendo-gi (jacket) and hakama (trousers) should expect to wait a few months before bogu (kendo armour) may be worn. We will offer you a bogu try-out session before moving towards and purchasing your own armor.
*In order to start prompt on your first session, we would appreciate if you could complete our online membership form.
If a class in cancelled due to a holiday or unforeseen circumstances then a class will be added in lieu.
During those 10 classes, a beginner will be practising the following:
- Reiho (etiquette)
- Suburi (cutting action)
- Ashisabaki (footwork)
- Tenouchi (correct grip)
- Datotsu (correct cutting)
- Kirikaeshi (Basic cutting and blocking practice).
You should expect a typical lesson to be up to 90 minutes. Most lessons will include at the end a Mitori-geiko section (watching practise), where you can watch more experienced members in a free practise.
There are two charges totalling £85* (see below), and a temporary BKA (British Kendo Association) membership (£10):
- £50 for the 10 class course including all tuition.
- £35 to cover necessary equipment, namely a shinai (bamboo sword) and carry bag. *If you have your own equipment then you do not need to pay £35, just £50 for the 10 class course is needed only.
Please register as a new member with the BKA to obtain a “Temporary (3 month) membership” to obtain personal accident insurance. You can register with the BKA with their BKA temporary membership.
We accept cash or cheques but prefer bank account transfer (for details please get in touch with our treasurer to find out the information); fees are payable on the first night prior to practice.
You should wear a loose t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms. We train in bare feet on a clean sprung gym floor.
At the end of the course
Assuming you have attended all 10 classes, you may wish to become a full member of the club – details and fees can be found HERE.
After your 10 class beginners course is finished you will be asked to purchase the uniform: Navy blue kendo-gi (top) and navy blue hakama (bottom). You can find examples in the following UK-based shops: