Edinburgh Kendo Club (EKC) is a friendly but serious dojo that practices the art of KENDO.
If you are interested in starting kendo, please read this section carefully, take a look around our website and Facebook page for more information.
* Beginners are accepted ad-hoc and are expected to attend at least 5 consecutive calendar week sessions.
* Beginners should attend the Tuesday classes, however are encouraged to also attend Friday if they can & at disgression of Dojo leader.
* After the 5 weeks are up, those successfully completing the course may move on to the regular class timetable
* Beginners should expect to wait a few months before Kendo-gi & Bogu (kendo armour) may be worn, and we will offer you a try-out session before moving towards and purchasing your own armor.
5 calendar weeks. If a class in cancelled due to a holiday or unforeseen circumstances then a week will be added in lieu.
By the end of the 5 weeks a reasonably diligent student will be competent in:
Reiho (etiquette), Suburi (cutting action); Ashisabaki (footwork); Tenouchi (correct grip), Datotsu (correct cutting),
Kirikaeshi (Basic cutting and blocking practice)
You should expect a typical lesson to be up to 90 minutes. All lessons will include a Mitorigeiko section (watching practise).
There are two charges totalling £55:
- £20 for the 5 week course including all tuition.
- £35 to cover necessary equipment, namely a shinai (bamboo sword) and carry bag.
Please register as a new member with the BKA (British Kendo Association) to obtain a “Temporary (3 month) membership” to obtain personal accident insurance. You can register with the BKA with the following link http://membership.kendo.org.uk/html/new_member_register.php
Beginners are welcome to source their own shinai and carry bag if they wish.
We accept cash or cheques but not credit/debit cards; fees are payable on the first night prior to practice.
You should wear a loose t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms. we train in bare feet on a clean sprung gym floor.
At the end of the course
Assuming you have attended all 5 weeks, you may wish to become a full member of the club – details can be found HERE. Once you join you are eligible to join the other weekly club practices.
You must contact us in advance either via our Facebook page or email if you wish to attend a session.
Please try come to a class to watch and meet our instructors, prior to starting a beginners course.
So we can start prompt on your first session, we would appreciate if you could , complete an online membership form.